Monday, August 24, 2009

A Spain Update

So I received an email this morning I was "approved for candidacy" with the English school in Spain. Which was shocking considering last night I was told that it might not be the safest place in the world to go. But I did a little homework and here's your lesson on current events in Spain:

There's this terrorist group called the ETA. It stands for something I can't pronounce, but they are a group of people for the "freedom" of the Basque country are which is the northern region of spain including the province I would be teaching in- Gipuzkoa. It's heavily mediterarean and they speak Basque (also called Eusklid) rather than straight up Spanish. This group ETA started in 1968 and in the 70s and 80 killed just under 100 people a year in their violence and bombings. They are recognized by the EU, France, Spain and the U.S. as a terrorist group and are trying to cut them down to size. This group kills fewer and fewer people each year and since 2004 ish, they kill less than ten people a year and they typically don't bomb IN Basque country, except for this town called Bilbao.

Moral of the lesson today? I'm probably just as safe in San Sebastian in Gipuzkoa than I am in Denver, CO. and San Sebastian is a whopping 45-60 minutes from the French border where I could easily escape to if need be.

Here's hoping that this is a God-opened door and if it isn't, pray that God will shut this door and open another! However, visiting friends in South Korea and China and trotting all over Europe would be pretty B.A.!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment