Saturday, March 20, 2010

Grow a Pair

Last night I couldn't write anything about my week. After some more reflection over what seemed to go wrong I came to one conclusions: Somedays, I just have to tell myself to grow a pair.

Not literally, of course, but some days, some pretty negative feelings creep up on me. About 95% of the time, it's related to fear. I know overcoming fear has been an issue for me in the past and I'm certain it will always be something I will need to work on.

This past week was a lot of fear and the side effects of it: timidity, nervousness, and insecurity. I'm thankful for the people in my life who have made it easier to get over my fear, but when push comes to shove, I really just need to grow a pair.

So, here it is plain and simple:
1. Specifically this week, I am SO thankful for Joe and how open and honest he lets me be about my job. I've NEVER had an employer who made it so easy to express my frustrations. Probably partly because I've always worked for A. Dr. J. Steven Moore (who intimidated the crap out of me.) and B. Student Affairs Professionals (who poo-pooed expressing frustrations without the right filter.) Not to say that Erika hasn't done the same, because I've learned a lot from her and love her as a boss, but this week- Joe wins it.
2. I'm sick of brides dictating my life. Nope, sorry, if you don't like that I'm choosing my mom's birthday over giving you a Saturday tour, than please-- book somewhere else!
3. I have the greatest boyfriend EVER. Normally, I'd find some excuse NOT to go to Germany in May and find some little hole to duck into so that I wouldn't have to actually live my life. But knowing that it'll be with him and that I trust him more than all of my past boyfriends combined makes it exciting.
4. Oh yeah, I'm going to Germany in May. Period.
5. I want to be a photographer. I probably suck pretty hard core at it right now, but all great photographers had to start somewhere. I'm not going to pussyfoot around it with our photographers at the Villa anymore and while I respect what they do, I think I could do it, too.
6. I wore pink for the first time since the 3rd grade. I think I might do it again. I might even start wearing dresses.

Okay. That's all.
:)

1 comment:

  1. Much of life for the timid types is learning to er... grow a pair. And much of life for the not afraid of anything types is learning not to consume people in their path :) THe important thing is to self-assess and adjust. Which you have. Good girl!

    P.s. the pink was pretty :)

    ReplyDelete