Sunday, January 17, 2010

A message I couldn't ignore...

I absolutely love my new church. It's younger people, which has it's downfalls, but it's nice to be surrounded by people closer to my age than people closer to retirement like the churches in Parker. Aside from being a very attractive church in an absolutely beautiful building, the pastor has convicting and relevant messages.

Today's message was one that I couldn't ignore. This take a bit of swallowing some pride, but I think it's necessary for me. It started off in Ephesians, talking about the unity of the church with an emphasis on Eph. 4:3 "Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." In order for a church to be effective, everyone in the church needs to bond together under one message or one goal and act on it. Just like the holy trinity, there are three distinct pieces that make it up. Three pieces to make one. Man and woman are distinct, but they unite to be the most effective. So just like this, a church is made up of very diverse people, but they must unite to be one.

This was all fine and dandy, but then it hit me. We're all diverse and different and when you "marry" the church, it's not all fun and games. Sometimes you just have to put up with people. And the point he made about getting along with other people is where we falter is when we recognize our strengths and other peoples' weaknesses. By not recognizing my own faults, I'm not being humble and by not recognizing other peoples' strengths, I'm not using my strength as a woman to encourage and love others.

(On a lighter note, my friend who admittedly might have still been a tiny bit drunk was sitting next to me. While I made light of her situation, it was nice to have someone to admit to how much I need to work on what his message talked about.)

I never really considered myself a negative person (because I'm perfect, let's be honest... JUST KIDDING!), but I do make it a habit to think about other peoples' non-strengths and highlighting what I'm good at. I don't think I do it just to make myself look good, but when I thought about it, I think it's just easier to think about the bad things about people rather than the good. So, I've made it a goal to write a list of people that I tend to think poorly of and remind myself of all the great things about these people.

(I believe I even wrote "Molly: Epic Failure" next to this point he made. So- here's to being more positive about people!)

No comments:

Post a Comment