Monday, January 11, 2010

Of the incorrect insoles


So, I think I've figured out what happened... In January of 2009, I finally went to see a doctor about knee pain. I started physical therapy for iliotibial band syndrome, which would be big fancy word for my muscles in my legs are tense. Go figure. Molly's tense.

So from there, they put me in these insoles called "Super feet." I'd like to call them something more like "Cause-more-pain-than-you're-already-insoles." And this explains the roller-coaster my knees/feet have been on for the past year. These insoles were actually too much support and were pushing things out of alignment. Too much of a good thing is bad, remember?

The mechanics of insoles and sneakers that cause support break down over their usage. So after about 6 months, the support is actually bust. I got new shoes and new insoles in January. I was still in pain until June. Then I got back into working out and was splendid! Still bits of knee pain, but it all could be contributed to ITBand stuff. Then, in August when I came back home, I got the bright idea to get new insoles. Stupid me. Hence the knee pain starting back up.

Now a solid four months later, in a fit to be a smartass versus the doctors that told me there was nothing wrong with my knees, I wore some nice shoes that had no insoles because "If there's nothing wrong with me, these shoes should be fine!" Having limbered up my IT Band quite nicely, I went through the day in fancy shoes. Pain Free.

I've been back in the gym for a good week now and have taken those ridiculous insoles out of my shoes and gone back to the originals. Life is good, my friends! Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Ironic, huh. Most of my knee/back issues over the years have stemmed from shoes. Weird, and sort of annoying, actually.

    ReplyDelete